11/29/2012

Jarrett's Update

Whereas last year was easily the most financially successful year of my adult life, 2012 has forced me to constantly worry about money. When Marissa’s illness caused us to cancel the remainder of our shows for the year, I was forced to look for another job immediately upon returning home. I found an interesting opportunity within a few days, which would have me working in the upholstery department of an incredibly high-end furniture manufacturer in Philadelphia, PA. I got the job off of a few home projects I’ve completed, including sewing projects and my toilet sink (picture below). I was excited at having the opportunity to learn a trade with my time off from Screaming Females.

Quickly the job took over the entirety of my life. Factoring in both commute time and work hours, I was away from home for well over 12 hours a day Monday through Friday. One co-worker told me early on, “This job is the definition of a grind.” Pulling raw twine and leather thread for eight hours a day was starting to take a toll on my hands. Sores and wounds started to open up on my fingers. In the mornings I would awake to stiffness and incredible pain in my fingers and palms. I started to worry about the long-term effects with regards to my ability to hold and manipulate drums sticks effectively. A fellow worker smashed his hand in the elevator door. We would need surgery and many metal plates to piece it back together. I started having nightmares that I would accidentally ruin my hands while working and force a permanent end to Screaming Females.

Then Hurricane Sandy struck NYC. The furniture company sells all of their products out of one store front in SoHo. Apparently their clientele (aka the 1%) had just up and left New York, going to other homes and apartments around the world until the City was put back together. Their sales hit an unexpected seasonal low and I promptly got laid off. I’m starting a new job as a part-time prep cook tomorrow. Hopefully this one lasts for more than a month.

11 comments:

milo said...

It's funny 'cause just yesterday i dreamt about something similar to your toiler sink and had to draw it. I must say that your version is far superior.
http://imgur.com/WQED5
Hope that everything goes well with your new job and no hands-involved accidents occur!

Anonymous said...

best of luck with the cook spot. i don't know if you've ever worked in a kitchen before but it can be rough at first. you'll grow calluses on your knife hand from chopping all day. REMEMBER! always pay attention to what you're cutting, the moment you look away is the split second it takes to lob a digit. sharp knives are safe knives.

Anne said...

Geez, and I thought I was going through some tough times. You guys have to be the most tolerant, humble, assiduous people ever. I just know that next year will be your best year yet for you-I can feel it! As for Marissa's ailment, could the weight of the guitar have anything to do with it?

Anonymous said...

geez you sound like a little bitch. hey kids, don't pitty this motherfucker when you yourselves with be forced into said realities without your "art" to save you from the "grind". ohh poor little boy left feeling unsure for a few months. welcome to the real world. and congrats. i'm sure all you're fans love your manipulation of leather products to cater to the rich assholes who you are supposed to be rebelling against. enjoy handling meat

jake said...

please CHILL 22:19, what's yer deal? your negativity is not needed nor is it appreciated. best of luck jarrett!

Anonymous said...

hey jake, neither is the attitude of self important "rock stars". enjoy your life of hard work and stress while spewing out your hard earned cash to support people who don't deserve it. and just to add to things, i am speaking from a point of inside knowledge and experience. that was not a random rant.

ChrisK said...

I smell a Ron Paul supporter...

hussy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Haters gonna hate.

Jarrett, you should write a book.

Anonymous said...

That would be cool if it were titled 'Jarrett's Story.' But I wouldn't by a book called 'Screaming Females' Story' if it turned out to be just about jarrett. I don't mean to sound hateful, I just find it unfair for someone who has been lucky enough to be in an awesome band and travel most of the world to be complaining because they have to have a normal job for awhile. It just sounds like a way to long Facebook status because all those ever are are petty complaints from our very ungrateful generation in America. When so many people in the world are sick and dying, having a "daily grind" job is hardly something to complain about.

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjon said...

Hey Jarrett, thanks for sharing these new things in your life. As a big fan of your music, I appreciate a candid and brief insight on your personal life. It helps me relate to you and strengthens my appreciation for your music. Hopefully you guys don't get too bored with the down-time!

Can't wait to hear some good news soon. Good luck!