10/08/2006

rock out with your cock out

Hey Everybody,

So last night's show was a blast. I rocked out with my cock out. For real. Anyone who wasn't there missed a sight. Aside from my beads, my hat, some hiked up socks, and a pair of pumas I was as fresh as the moment I entered this world. Man in Gray totally lived up to their hype. I love NYC bands that can rock a basement show. No questions of "Where's my monitor?" or, like, "How much are you getting paid?" or "So how many drink tickets do I get?" (Ha). They saw The Parlor (the basement), said "Sweet," went and got some ice cream, and came back and rocked the fucking house. I believe this to be the beginning of a beautiful partnership.

The Volunteers' drummer canceled on them last minute but no problem. Bassist Mike East jumped on drums and the show went on. I think I might like this band even more in the striped down form.

Pineapple Island Tribesmen were a surprise hit. They came with some pseudo tribal prayer noise stuff and then broke into some intense prod rock craziness. All that plus tin foil and jump suits.

I always say that Screaming Females totally feeds off the crowd and last night was no exception. You all were a sloppy mess of drunken energy and thats pretty much how we played, minus the drunk. We were a big sloppy mess but did we sure have energy. Walking off the stage, ...ugh, I mean past that one pole in the basement that kind of marks the boundary between the "stage" and the crowd. Anyway, when finishing up a set like that, the first reaction we always seem to have is as musicians. Did I play well or didn't I? In a technical sense that was a pretty poor Screaming Females show. But being able to look at it all today I realize that it couldn't have really fit the mood of the night more perfectly. I think that is what SF does; one of the things that makes us fun and exciting. I hope all you guys feel the same way. There is no possible way for us to play the same set twice. It just doesn't happen. That means some shows are going to be sloppy. But when the crowd has this energy that needs to be released, sloppy playing is really neither here nor there. It needed to be released by the rock and we brought the rock.

I also hope everyone realizes how awesome what we have here is. A Brooklyn "buzz" band comes to play a show here and they are floored! With all the magic of NYC, our little New Brunswick basement shows leave a huge god damn impression. It is not something to take for granted. There are many elements to it all. Most important are the people that come to the shows. Even with everything else that goes into being a band that plays out (ie radio interviews, album sales, gas money, articles, booking tours, and so on), having a crowd that gives some back will always be #1. But I also hope that you all appreciate the work that so many people put into all these shows. Jon Fish, The Parlor's headmaster, is an unbelievable person (and everyone else that resides at 233 Hamilton). He opens his house up to anyone and everyone 4-6 times a month. And loves it the more people show up. Then there is also me and the people that help me putting these shows together. It is no easy task. Getting in touch with bands, organizing, being the jerk asking for money, trying to convince people that is important to show up early, trying to convince bands that it is important to get there on time, etc. The stress level is high. But last night is a perfect example of why we put all the energy and time into it.

Thanks.

-Jarrett D

1 comment:

tina said...

I couldn't elbow my way upfront, but I sure loved what I heard from your set! And Man in Gray definitely wants to come back. I've been telling all my friends about SF and the Parlor and you've got a lot of NYC bands itching to play at an honest to goodness basement rocknroll party. Awesome times!